Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Next Generation's Sustainable Woodshop

It's been a hectic spring and I apologize for not updating more. I'm currently taking Thesis 1 and a course called Development of Sustainable Buildings. I was mentioning earlier how my thesis topics were leaning towards building a modular green home or working with towns to create a low-budget sustainability program. While these are strong concepts, I didn't feel that these merited the research as there are existing successful ventures in both those venues spread across the region. The goal is to come up with something that's relatively new, or at least, define something that's not yet understood or organized. Which is what led me to a very satisfying conclusion: Shop Class.

Like many, I remember shop class as the antiquated way of woodworking and creating things with belt sanders and band saws. I've always joked that I would love to be a shop teacher when I retired, and there was a reason I've kept this in the back of my mind. Shop class is more than just an elective that's fading from current school curriculum, it's about growth and student development, education and responsibility, personal challenges and accomplishments.

This is going to be the focus of my master's thesis: Developing a Sustainable Shop Class Curriculum. I would like to re-introduce shop class to schools that have removed it from their course offerings. What if shop class (or technically, the Industrial Arts) were to be re-programmed for today's challenges, today's students, and today's budgets? By focusing on a sustainable education curriculum, schools could empower and educate young adults, while helping them discover their natural skills and passions. Schools can also have economic reasons to support a such a program, as it would also use the course to propose cost saving strategies around the facility.

If you have a few hours, I highly recommend the book "Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work" by  Matthew B. Crawford. It's a moving story that details detachment we have of items in our lives, and how we've lost manual competence. The author goes from working at a political think tank to leaving to start his own motorcycle repair shop. It's a healthy reminder of what values in live are the most satisfying.

What do you think? How do you see such a program being a success? Can you see schools adopting something like this when they're trying to cut costs? Do you know any school administrators with whom I could talk?

No comments:

Post a Comment