Monday, June 29, 2009

Creating Custom Counters

We're starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel in Lancaster. This past weekend I framed sturdy counter shelving for the front cafe area. The plan is to hand pour concrete counter tops. I've taken many photos of the supports and it's as solid as it gets. The surface will be a 2" thick slab and 3" on the edges, creating a lip around the supporting plywood to give it a contemporary and modern look. Also, I have a recessed area to secure a cash register. I'll steel trowel and then stone smooth the tops before giving it a final water-seal stain.

Here are photos of my frames before we pour. Notice how the lip goes around all of the edges and will produce a very angular and square product.


I was looking online for a good tutorial for step-by-step instructions on something like this and didn't come across anything great. I'm considering taking video of the forms and the process involved and hopefully it will help someone else make (granted this turns out nice).

For the face of the counters I plan on punching holes for lighting, using under-cabinet lighting facing outward. In front of them, I'll put squares of wood contrasting in color and spaced apart from the face, so light will spill out around it. It will match the existing lighting in the property and should really add some character. The cost isn't bad either, $40 for the lights, and another $20 for the wood squares and 1/2" PVC pipe (will cut into 2" pieces and use as spacer with a screw in the middle.

No comments:

Post a Comment