Friday, January 7, 2011

Weekly Dose: News, Articles, and Events

Pennsylvania allows dumping of tainted waters from gas boom - The state doesn't have the resources to regulate or restrict this as much as necessary. I called this a year ago, I'm hoping voters speak up and leave the quick buck for long term health. Here's a scary infographic to accompany the story.

Investor Home In Conshohocken - Every now and then a house hits the MLS that is just a home-run as far as ARV with some simple repairs. Here's a 3-bed 1 bath in Conshy on a nice, quiet lot. It's even a Fannie Mae Homepath property which means subsidized loans. This will be bought quickly.

Postgreen Home Tour - Thursday evening I went to an open house of Postgreen's 2.5 Beta home. It's their 4th build project following their 100k homes, Passive Houses, and Skinny Houses. The event was busier than I had expected, and I didn't recognize anybody. Erica came along and we were just a fly on the wall for a few moments before we had to escape. I respect their build philosophy, but I came away from this project with the feeling of it being overly sterile. I'm hoping they recognize and address that in some way.

2011 The Age Of Remote Workers - I've been giving this a decent amount of thought recently. Why do we commute to sit at a desk in a digital age? Think of all the revenue, time, cost, and happiness that is lost with our current system. I think many employers will start allowing employees to work 20-40% of their time from home, and realize it's a win-win.

Design For Dark - During the winter, we're left with more hours of darkness than daylight. Build LLC is a design-build firm in Oregon and they have an article discussing what to keep in mind when designing homes. Peruse their site for other beautiful photos and portfolio work.

No comments:

Post a Comment