Monday, May 25, 2009

Engineered Hardwood Installation



Saturday morning we got an an early start at 7am, took measurements for the hardwood, picked up sub-flooring from Lowes with a rental truck, and then stopped by Hardwood Floors of Lancaster. I had previously and talked to the owner, Tom, on the phone and he took me for an experienced contractor and promised me a deal...so when we met in person he was a little surprised at my age. Either way, we talked extensively about our options and we settled on Brazilian Cherry Engineered Hardwood. It's a darker choice with great contrast in the dark and lighter areas.



Installation isn't too bad, as long as you take your time and make sure the boards are tight. It's looking much lighter than in the store, that's because when we put the sealer on it - it will get a darker, richer look. I spend some time showing Erica, Ralph, and Matt how to install it. Matt is Ralph's lounge manager and has been really stepping up to lend a hand.



While doing this, my allergies were getting really bad. At the end of the night I could barely breathe. Then I broke out in hives on my chest, back and neck. I must have been allergic to something in the wood, possibly the glue. I really need to look out more and get proper breathing equipment when dealing with something I'm not familiar with. Matt and Ralph were able to make a lot of progress throughout the week after I had to leave on Sunday.

The next step to finish is put quarter-round around the edges, then we seal it. I'll be looking forward to posting the finished product.

No comments:

Post a Comment