Monday, May 11, 2009

Responding to My Own Questions

I sent a message to the MSSD Program Co-Directer, Professor Flemming, around three weeks ago. Since there's been no response I figured I'd give it a shot and play prof, answer myself, and see if my conclusions will change over the next two years. What the hell, right?
Hey Rob,

I love the radio show, thanks for putting on a great discussion every week. I met with you about two months ago about the MSSD program and was just offered acceptance a few weeks ago! I'm really thrilled and can't wait to get started. I have two questions for you though:

1. Do you see a pull-back with the term "Sustainable" anytime soon? As Architecture and Engineering Programs acknowledge the need for sustainable design take these principles and incorporate them into their studies, will the MSSD Program continue to be competitive in the years ahead? This specific article got me thinking about the issue http://www.treehugger.com/files/2009/04/mocoloco-dumps-sustainable-design.php

2. I noticed on the PhillyU website that there may be a 12 credit Graduate Certificate in Sustainable Practices offered. Would this be separate than the MSSD Program and does it offer a lot of the same education? As someone looking for a career change, would it benefit me to look into this also as I want to move into this exciting field as soon as possible.

Thanks again,
David Ross

My Answer to Question 1: While the term "Sustainable" is used a little too freely, it's not something that is as easily accomplished. Yes, companies and educational institutions are taking steps to incorporate greener learning and business methods, but sustainability is an ongoing challenge. The term sustainable is not going anywhere, but public perception needs to change to understand that it's a movement. It's about being as efficient as technologically possible, minimizing usage and waste of resources far further than current levels. All the while, maintaining a comfortable standard of living for the masses. So yes, it's going to be a challenge for a long time.

Also, as other institution and career fields embrace the sustainability movement, there will be more doors opened. Philadelphia University will be providing access to architects and engineers on the edge of this movement, so it's your responsibility to get the most you can out of them. Therefore, I wouldn't be afraid of the MSSD Program being less competitive at all, in fact, possibly the opposite. By blending students with different backgrounds, you'll get a better understanding of all the facets of sustainability in a variety of fields.


My Answer to Question 2: Since there has been increased interest in the program, we are taking steps to get people into the growing green economy as quickly as possible while still providing them with a good education. The Graduate Certificate Program is not as in depth or thorough as the MSSD program, but it will prepare workers to take the step from blue collar to green collar jobs. It's really up to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment