Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A Few Weeks Into Classes

So just like that and we're three weeks into the first semester. My two courses are both lectures; Sustainable Design (SDN) 604 - Design of Green Materials on Tuesday afternoons with professor Chris Pastore, and Thursdays I have SDN 601- Sustainable Design Methodologies with professor Rob Fleming. Both require extensive out of class readings and research, but they both are opening my eyes to a lot of concepts and ideas I haven't thought of before.

One point that professor Flemming pointed out that has resonated with me is that we are coming out of the age of trying to maximize human productivity, and now business and industry is shifting into focusing on resource productivity. Imagine 200 years ago telling people that you would soon be able to do the work of 70 men with ease because of the advancements of technology. You would be laughed at - but we know today that we exponentially increased our capacity for human productivity. So looking forward, we need to make those same advancements with resource productivity through technology.

One last thing, each of the professors have websites that they upload material and projects to - and man are they ugly. I can't even read the text for my 604 class. I might design a better site for the benefit of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment