Sunday, September 20, 2009

Will Web Design Skills Transfer?

Thinking about my abilities within the sustainable design profession, I need to define who I am by focusing on what I am good at: Aesthetics. These skills are directly related to my current professional job as a web designer specializing in online app and user interface (UI) design. I'm always concerned about what the consumer wants to do, what the user is expecting, and how to naturally guide them through a virtual environment.

How well will these skills translate to Sustainable Design?
I've always had an appreciation for the skills I acquired on the construction job site. I can't say I've felt the same way about the skills I've acquired from sitting in front of a computer screen. However, I've slowly been fine-tuning my eye to catch inconsistencies and confusing UI elements. I am able to guide users through complicated web applications while making them appear simple on the surface. I'll soon be making the same kind of adjustments to sustainable technologies, I'm just wondering how easy it's going to be.

1 comment: